The new Energy Label – Purpose and benefits
The EU Energy Label for products has supported consumers in the search and selection of energy efficient products for more than 25 years. The label has driven the development of innovative efficient products dramatically reducing the energy consumption and costs of appliances.
The currently used A+++/G labelling scheme has become less effective. The mixed label scale involving many "+“ is no longer transparent and the majority of products on the market are already placed in the 2 – 3 top classes today - making it difficult for consumers to distinguish the most efficient products.
The European Union has therefore rescaled and optimised the energy label according to user needs and the new A-G scaled energy label will be introduced in physical stores and online shops from March 1st 2021 and September 1st for lighting products.
What are your benefits when buying a more efficient product?
If you choose products in the best available energy class you can achieve substantial savings:
- Choosing an A++ class tumble drier over a B class saves you 2.900 kWh translating into savings of £475* over the product lifetime.
- Choosing an A+++ refrigerator (200 l) over an A+ product saves you 600 kWh translating into savings of £100* over the product lifetime.
- Choosing an A+++ refrigerator and freezer (200/100 l) compared to a similar A+ saves you 1.500 kWh translating into savings of £245* over the product lifetime.
- If you are watching 4 hours of TV daily on an A++ class 52” LED flat screen TV compared to a B class TV you save 1.000 kWh translating into savings of £165* over the product lifetime.
* Based on a standard electricity price of 16.36p/kWh, correct as of March 2020.